Steps to get your whatsapp data in decrypted form-
- Download the Crypt Key Extractor from WhatCrypt homepage or you can download it from their github repository directly.
- O/S: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS X or Linux
- Java - If not installed: https://www.java.com/en/download/
- ADB (Android Debug Bridge) Drivers: Check out my post
- Android device with Android 4.0 or higher.
- USB Debugging must be enabled on the target device.
Developer Options-> (Debugging)
If you cannot find
Developer Optionsthen please go to:
About phone/deviceand tap the Build number multiple times until you’re finally declared a developer.
WhatsApp-Key-DB-Extractor-master.zipmaintaining the directory structure.
- Click on
WhatsAppKeyDBExtract.sh(Mac OS X / Linux).
Or go to the extracted folder via terminal and run the file as
Some things to keep in mind for this step-
- This step uses the internet to download a legacy version of WhatsApp (2.11) to install on your phone. So make sure your PC is connected to the internet before running it.
- Make sure there is no overlay active on your phone like
Blue Light Filter, as these will not allow you to click on
Back up my data.
- Connect your device via USB, change the mode from
media, unlock your screen and wait for
Full backupto appear.
- Enter your backup password or leave blank (if none set) and tap on
Back up my data. This step takes some time depending on the size of your data. So be patient.
- Confirm backup password in your command console and then check your
extractedfolder. You will find many files there-
- All these
.dbfiles are Sqlite databases in unencrypted form. Use a database viewer like DB Browser for SQLite to see the data.